Why is it important to celebrate diversity?
Celebration participants have defined diversity in a number of ways. Here are some of them.
- Knowledge is the key to tolerance.
- To gain a new perspective on the lives of others around you as well as around the world
- At this predominately white college a lot of the students, especially freshmen, have not experienced another culture. Cultural celebrations give students the opportunities to view and maybe understand more about cultures different from there own. Also by learning about other cultures students can develop respect and open-mindedness for other cultures.
- To overcome ignorance and prejudice
- Diversity is our strength
- We are all diverse people. And celebrating our differences, as well as our common interests, helps unite and educate us.
- To understand others perspectives, to broaden our own, and to fully experience and educate ourselves.
- In a word, heritage
- People all around need to understand and learn to appreciate other cultures and this is one way to accomplish that.
- Through each other's diversity we become more aware of our own. Not only do we become more aware we gain a sense of pride for the diversity of our own culture.
- Understanding people and their backgrounds is crucial to personal and community growth.
- Because diversity makes the world go round!
- It's energizing and thought provoking. We live in such an isolated area that we don't often reflect on the diverse people we have all around us.
- To see how many different forms of music can bring happiness to groups outside of their own traditional roots
- In order to realize what varied cultures, beliefs, and lifestyles people lead outside the somewhat heterogeneous bubble of Boone. In order to relate and understand those with different social, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- To help us all spend some time together--we understand and appreciate each other's cultures so much more!
Use your credit card to contribute to Appalachian State University excellence through a secure online transaction. List account # 992850 to designate the Diversity Celebration as beneficiary of your gift.
Give Online Now (PDF)